Name:
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Tennis: English style!

As you may or may not know, I have decided to take up tennis, not only as a means of getting exercise but also so I can get involved in my local community and meet people from the neighbourhood. I have only been to the coaching sessions for now, as I need to get my skills sorted first before I attempt to play any games. I think the last time I played "serious" tennis, my friend and I were at high school and we soon gave up with the match considering I kept hitting the balls OUT of the court - like over and beyond the fencing! I did try a little friendly match of tennis when I was at university, but didn't play for long despite managing to keep the balls in the court area (then again it was a double court so it was easier to keep things in the court!).

Back to my recent tennis adventures though. The first night of coaching (group coaching) I was impressed to have only one ball over the fence, but realised that I hit the balls too hard and have no direction control what-so-ever! My serves are awful too. The second lesson was a bit better, despite my having two balls over the fence, but thankfully most of the balls actually went close to where they were supposed to be going! My aim was improving.

Monday night was my latest lesson and I nearly didn't go as I was unsure how "dedicated" the local players were; it was overcast and had been raining and it looked like more rain was due. I decided to give it a go though and if no-one was there it wasnt a problem, I would just go home again! I was happy to find more players and the coach there when I arrived, so the lesson began. I soon learnt that I am still hitting the balls too hard (or too soft) and my aim is still off!. It didn't help when the winds picked up (I was hitting into the wind at the time) meaning that most of my balls either went into the net or way over my opponents head. She was very relaxed though and didn't mind my bad aim. When the rains came, it did become a bit more difficult to play, but I persisted. However my gaming partner departed and I was left hitting the ball into the various squares of the court trying to improve my aim. The coach was very good at this point and gave me about 20 min of personal coaching - yay to him. By the time we were resembling drowned rats (the rain just kept getting heavier) and the coach called an end to the sessoin, my aim and force of hitting the balls had improved. I may even attempt a game of tennis tonight, if the rains aren't too heavy!

Oh, and since I joined the tennis club to meet people: The first night I was with the club I met a girl who went to the same university as me! How small is this world!!! Granted she wasn't there when I was but hey, we aren't too picky with these things. All the other people that I have met seem nice but I still have to learn their names and have a lot of other members to meet (there are about 100 members in the club, I have met about 10!).

By the way, if there are any tennis players reading this and they have any pointers for me, I would appreciate to hear them.

Until next time... CJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home