Name:
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Garden wildlife...

This weekend I decided to attack my garden a bit and give it a clean-up. Since it has been so hot recently, I have been reluctant to distrub the soil and plants. However this weekend was cooler, so the attack began...

While working at the back of my garden I was very happy to come across a little wildlife in the leaf litter - there were harvestmen (look like spiders with pretty small bodies but really long legs) and woodlice and then to my amazement (and a little bit of a shock for both of us) I came across a common frog!






He (I am presuming it was a he) gave me quite a fright (as I did him) at first as I was not expecting his presence. But once I located the brown flash that I had seen scurrying into a bush, I was happy to dash into the house to grab my camera and take some shots of him. He as pretty good too in not moving very far, although since taking the photos and doing a bit more gardening I have lost my frog. I am hoping he is still in the garden but will not blame him if he has moved to pastures new! While I was taking photos of the frog, a slug was silly enough to emerge from the undergrowth and, after I took its photo (left), it was thrown into the green bin (bin for garden waste) along with all the other slugs and snails I locate amongst the plants.

So after giving my garden a clean, I thought I would take some photos of it. Right: the right side of my garden...





Left: the back part of my garden (where I found the frog)...

Right: the left side of my garden.

Things are looking a bit brown and scarce at the moment, but note that this is a new garden and it has just faced a hot July. It is looking better than it has for a while! On that note, I best be off...CJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home