Moulton Crow Festival!
Wednesday and Thursday was spent painting and painting and, oh, painting. This time I focussed on the walls and managed to do a pretty good job (or so I thought!), despite not having the proper tools (a really high ladder for one!). Friday I touched up the wall painting (when I discovered that I had missed painting part of the wall - how I missed that area I am still not 100% sure) and then proceeded with cleaning the house. Busy busy day, but felt really good and tired at the end of the day knowing my house was clean and there wasn't much else that needed to be done. Wow.
Saturday morning saw me heading up to Cheshire (folks) for the weekend. The roads were busy but okay. Must be school holidays or something...
Saturday afternoon my folks were kind enough to take me to the local Moulton Crow Festival. It was being held on the local football/playing field and man the place was HAPPENIN'!!! There was a little tent with a brass band in it (photo)...
and if you look carefully in the photo, you can see the DJ's tent in the background. Not sure who was competing with whom, the but DJ was winning big time!There were a number of tents containing stalls that were selling sweets, books, toys etc (all kiddies things really). And there were two activity tents/areas - a coconut shy (although I was too shy to try it... ha ha ha!) and a race for kids where the kid had to dress in varioud clothes and then hoola hoop for a while before running back to a table to finish some other little activity. This was all timed and the fastest child got a prize. Whee, what fun!
At about 3pm the BIG event occurred... the Crows came out. Now I cannot explain what this festival is all about and my folks couldn't help with that either. My mom has asked locals about it but all she gets in response is a gleeful giggle - a lot of help that!!! So, I will just explain what happens at the festival and maybe one day I will find out the traditional meaning...
All starts off with a scarecrow being wheeled into the central areana and being left there! Next a flock of crows (grown men dressed up as crows) enters the areana while dancing various steps. The crows then proceed to dance around the areana and "flock" towards the scarecrow and then run away....

Meanwhile, Mr Farmer walks around with his shotgun and occasionally pretends to shoot the crows (killing one which then gets dragged out of the areana!)
Then the crows and farmer leave the areana and after a long time the scarecrow comes to life, wanders around the areana (looking for the exit as he can't see much at all) and eventually leaves the areana (when a helpful soul or two goes out and assists him to the exit point). Then the crows, farmer and scarecrow all gather and have their photos taken.

And that was the end of the "show". These British traditions are weird!!!
Today we are going to a show of Rare Farm Breeds. I am presuming it will be more exciting and understandable than the Crow Festival. I had fun though but doubt I will get all excited about it next year, despite it being absolutely hilarious!








1 Comments:
Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself; the crow festival sounds/looks fun and, um, unusual! The pub was the King something... George maybe? We'll have to try out the other 10 sometime!
Post a Comment
<< Home