Name:
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Family braai

Right, so I am sitting on my couch on a Saturday morning of a long weekend and thought it is now time for me to add to my blog. So here goes, the first of my stories. Going back to the weekend of the 5/6th August when our family had a braai up at my folks’ on the Saturday! I can call it a braai (bbq for none South Africans) as the majority of guests were South African and we had boerewors as our main meal ingredient… yummy! The guests included my brother and his fiancé and her parents, my parents and our grandparents. A large gathering for a British event! Overall the day was a success with lots of food, laughter and family chatter! The wors was perfectly cooked (thanks Dad) and I don’t think we forgot to put anything out on the table (a tradition of the family when we lived in South Africa – always leave something in the oven until way after the party!).

Sunday morning saw us wandering around fields (no we weren’t drunk) on our way to fetch the morning newspaper – the long route! It was a pleasant walk though and much improved when we came across a border collie (my favourite dog breed) and it was friendly enough to allow me to give it a pat! Later in the morning I also ordered a new laptop after much um-ing and aah-ing, and had the joy of looking forward to having an up-to-date computer to work on at home.

After a yummy lunch, I was back on the road for my usual approximate 2.5 hr journey home! After 10 minutes of driving just getting to the motorway, I was faced with a huge traffic jam… there had been an accident on the one side of the motorway and it had affected both northbound and southbound lanes – both closed. Since I was already on the motorway and was between junctions I couldn’t go anywhere but forwards, with a slight diversion into the services to update the folk’s on my situation, at a very slow pace. It took me an hour to go a mile!!! After getting to the junction and leaving my usual route I drove across country on various ‘A roads’ to the next motorway. My drive at this point was not amusing and all I wanted to do was to get home.

Trusting my luck though, as I got onto the next motorway, I was faced with another traffic jam and another accident. Thankfully the accident didn’t look like it had taken any casualties although it was pretty horrendous… a caravan was on its roof. Another thankful thing was that the traffic jam didn’t last long and I eventually got home…admittedly I was grumpy at this point. Do you blame me though? I had just taken 5.5hrs to drive approximately 180 miles and I had the added thought of having to drive across country again the next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home